FLAGSTAFF ARTS AND LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
Position/Title: Special Education Teacher
Terms of Employment: 2021-22 School Year; Full Time
Start Date: August 2, 2021
Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA Status: Exempt
Benefits: Full Package
Reports to: Special Education Director
Evaluation: In accordance with Institutional Evaluation Model
The Special Education Teacher will manage a student caseload as well as teach. Teaching
responsibilities may include: teaching classes directly, co-teaching, and working in general
education classes with other certified teachers. This teacher will provide leadership in the
development, implementation, evaluation and improvement of all Special Education programs,
and monitor Special Education policies and procedures to impact the achievement of students.
Required Education and Experience
● Certified in the field of Special Education.
● Hold a Cross-Categorical Special Education Certificate (K-12), or High Incidence Certificate.
● Hold a current fingerprint clearance card.
Preferred Education and Experience
● Master’s degree or higher in a Special Education related field.
● Writing and maintaining special education paperwork.
● Administering and analyzing various assessments.
● Developing and implementing accommodations and modifications.
● Transition planning.
● Providing academic support in all content areas.
● Providing ongoing training and mentoring to paraprofessional staff.
● Ensuring compliance and reporting per the State and IDEA.
● Uses data, such as progress reports and areas of trouble, to provide instruction to students and
bring their skills up to grade-level.
● Monitors the progress of his or her entire caseload, maintains records and communicates with
parents and teachers.
● Attends and participates in ongoing training sessions, data analysis meetings and workshops.
● All other duties as assigned and/or needed to keep FALA running efficiently.
● Must be able to work collaboratively with groups of parents, teachers, counselors, and students.
● Demonstrates the ability to make appropriate recommendations to teachers based upon collected
● Shows ability to use basic office equipment such as computers, fax machines, copiers, and
● Possesses a strong understanding of the English language, spelling, and proper grammar.
● Demonstrates patience for working with students who may have serious learning disabilities.
● Shows the ability to create and maintain a safe, orderly environment that is conducive to learning.
● Willing to learn progress monitoring software.
● Familiar with the Google Suite of applications.
● Familiar with IEPPro.
Standard for Behavior / Professional Conduct
● Maintains effective and collaborative dialogue with colleagues, with respectful criticism
● Supports the mission and vision of FALA
● Supports Administration in the management of campus, culture, and instructional efforts
● Shows respect for all guidelines of timeliness and attendance
● Complies with all AZ State Laws and all policies and procedures of FALA
● Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor
FALA is an equal opportunity employer committed to applying the principles of applicable state
and federal anti-discrimination laws to give equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking
employment without regard to race, age, sex, national origin, religion, color, sexual preference, or
disability except in the case of a bona-fide occupational qualification.
In accordance with the applicable law, FALA makes reasonable accommodations for qualified
individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. This policy
governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline,
termination and access to benefits and training. FALA operates within the principles of equal
employment opportunity guidelines as set forth in applicable federal and state law.
● Please email resume and cover letter to Christina Wolfe, Special Education Director,
● Position remains open until filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning June 28, 2021.
About Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy
Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy celebrates individual creativity through rigorous academic and artistic programs which give students the tools and confidence to construct their own successes by: making learning revolving through the integration of disciplines, concepts, and methodologies; developing critical thinking, problem solving skills, and technical skills through the integration and synthesis of ideas; providing opportunities for the cultivation of the student as whole being; emphasizing and modeling a love of learning; valuing leadership and interpersonal skills through experiential learning and service to others; developing an appreciation of the arts in the lives of students; strengthening learning and a sense of community through the development of partnerships.