Are you curious and passionate about how we can use maps and spatial data to tell the story of our natural world? SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking GIS interns! This position will be a companywide resource and assist veteran GIS professionals with cartography and data management to support environmental projects managed by archaeologists, biologists, planners, and more.
Flexible schedule working from 10 to 40 hours a week with the opportunity for extension. This is a part-time or full-time, temporary role. This is a paid internship. Currently enrolled in a college or university, pursuing a certificate/associate degree in environmental management, archaeology, anthropology, biology, geography, earth science, information technology, or related field.
This position will be tied to our Flagstaff, Arizona office.
Must have completed 60 college/university credit hours by September 7, 2021.
- Effectively communicate with other project team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Implement and complete tasks and responsibilities delegated by GIS Leads.
- Take positive action and accountability for assigned work.
- Help support GIS/cartographic capabilities by creating map products supporting cultural, paleontological, and natural resource projects using Esri products and tools.
- Work with GIS Specialists and Leads to prepare field equipment, maps, and data dictionaries for field staff; post-process and manage field data; and create map products using established protocols and templates.
- Support GIS workload with the team to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Maintain a collaborative work environment between project managers and GIS staff.
- Help ensure quality of work is consistent with SWCA’s standards and practices alongside other GIS team members.
- Use Esri ArcGIS Desktop, primarily ArcGIS Pro, for editing data, analyses, and cartography, including the use of geoprocessing tools, symbolizing features, importing/exporting a wide range of data and file types, and producing report quality and field maps in a reasonable amount of time.
- Data management and support for tablet data collection including Collector, Field Maps, and Survey123
- Help design, create, maintain, and QA/QC geospatial databases using ArcGIS, Microsoft Excel, and peripheral software.
- Use ArcGIS Pro to create maps including appropriate vector data creation, symbology, attribution, labels, scale bars, and
- Strip map and map book creation experience a plus
- Publish to ArcGIS Online and create basic web maps or apps.
- Geodatabase creation, editing, and management.
- Understanding of data integrity
- Data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using Esri and Microsoft products
- Calculations in ArcGIS Pro and Excel
- Currently enrolled in a college or university, pursuing a certificate/associate degree in human resources, business, accounting, psychology, philosophy, or related field.
- Experience using basic Esri tools such as buffer, clip, and field calculator.
- Ability to think critically and effectively communicate.
- Ability to work efficiently and collaborate with team members.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.