This position is responsible for assisting with accounting and payroll functions in a timely and accurate manner while ensuring that our organization meets all regulatory compliance standards, particularly with regard to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This is a full-time, 12 months, benefit eligible position.
The Human Resources Team commits to fostering a culture where each person, employee or not – feels heard, supported and engaged in a positive and empathetic way. We purposefully construct and nurture a focus upon community and inclusiveness. All lives matter regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ethnicity, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, age, immigration status, or location.
In HR, every experience matters, and it is our goal to make those experiences matter for you.
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
The goal of CCC is to provide an educational, employment, and business environment free of gender discrimination. Incidents of misconduct should be reported to the college Title IX Coordinator, as outlined in policy, contact information is available at this link: https://www.coconino.edu/title-ix
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meets the requirements of all assigned compliance activities. These activities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure compliance with regulations of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS), Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and College Processes
- Determine and manage measurement and stability periods for employees’ hours
- Review policies, procedures, and operational guidelines and suggest changes to enhance ACA compliance
- Research best practices and ACA implementation, specifically at other higher education institutions, and recommend implementation changes
- Review requests for secondary positions and approve total hours; recommend corrections to supervisors when needed
- Provides training on policies, procedures, and ACA/ASRS requirements to stakeholders
- Performs backup and support functions with the college payroll and accounting processes
- Assists with training of online time entry system
- Assists with reconciliation of payroll liability accounts and monthly benefit invoices
- Creates and enters journal entries and/or budget transfers
- Reviews leave accrual for accuracy on a monthly basis
- Reviews outstanding payroll checks and submits to state, when needed
- Reports federal work study and student wage hour for the pay period to Financial Aid and supervisors
- Assists with Student Accounts, when needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledgeable and skilled with payroll processes. Strong understanding of requirements of the Affordable Care Act; strong understanding of Internal Revenue Service regulations; knowledge of the principles, practices, and standards of accounting and human resources processes; knowledge and skill using integrated administrative systems and spreadsheet programs; skilled in positive and professional written and interpersonal communication; ability to analyze and problem-solve. Proficient in Microsoft applications, such as, Excel and Word. Able to effectively work in an environment with strict deadlines and a high need for accuracy. Bi-Lingual a Plus.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Management, or related field, and 1 year of related experience; or 5 years of related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job and/or as approved by the Human Resources department.
Experience with payroll in an educational setting. Experience using the Ellucian Banner administrative system or another ERP system. Experience with a variety of computer applications, including database management systems and Microsoft Excel expertise.
About Coconino Community College
Preferred Qualifications Three to five years of progressively responsible administrative or events planning experience. Experience in public sector or other busy office environment. Experience in facilities scheduling and event coordination. Experience maintaining websites, managing databases, and/or working with Microsoft SharePoint.